Monday, November 21, 2005

i'm on fiyah!

joe


So it's almost ten, Lauren, Jenne and I are about to leave my apt in JC to head to the NOY show at Maxwells [Hobroken], after having consumed a fair amount of drink generously donated by Bacardi. There's this really irritating beeping noise been going on for about five minutes. As it doesn't sound too urgent, we assume it's the portable phone battery announcing its imminent death and ignore it, or yell at it to shut up.

We get a call that the car we ordered is waiting downstairs. Lauren opens the front door. She shuts it again very quickly.

"Umm, gather all your valuables, we should get the hell out of here. Your building is on fire."

The corridor is full of smoke. Yes ladies and gentlemen, being the clever souls that we are, we've been ignoring the fact the fire alarm [I'd like to point out right now quite how unalarming and un-urgent it was] has been going off for so long.

Lauren, Jenne and two of Jaz's friends who have been round all go downstairs while Jaz, growing a little panicked - especially as there's a PA announcing the evacuation of the building - frantically searches for her keys while I try and calm her down and tell her she can use mine.

We give up, make our way down 21 flights of stairs [I get insanely dizzy]. We get downstairs to be greeted by a ton of firetrucks and residents trying to keep warm. I hand Jaz my "valuables" [a rucksack into which I threw my laptop, my DS2019 form - the visa form that lets me in and out of the country - and, er, a couple of magazines. Nice to see how I prioritise things...] then me, Lauren and Jenne scarper off to Maxwells, leaving the fire to the firemen.

And that was pretty much the most excitement I got this weekend.


NOY



The Nightmare of You show was great, although standing next to the speaker wasn't the best idea. The cab ride to the LES was very funny because Lauren and Lauren [yes, it got confusing] spent the whole journey speaking as if they were wearing industrial strength braces. And head gear. Orchard bar was crowded as ever, but great to see peeps I haven't seen in a while and meet an assortment of new people including Gurj's hot friends and the lovely Imaginary Socialite [or did i just imagine meeting her?]


gurj and andy

gurj & steven


And, er, the rest of the weekend was spent in a blur of trying to stay warm, Buffy season 7 and Brat Pack movies. Awesome...

1 comment:

lauren ashley said...

let's sit back and realize that the fire was maybe a forewarning of the rest of our hazy night!