Monday, November 07, 2005

completed zines and armies of me

deitch spinning wheels 11.4.05
[polaroid as all my other beloved cams are broken or been nicked]

So Friday, we do the Deitch opening [totally trippy, I swear it would have made my sister's spacko brain shortwire again] and the Sonic Youth art thingy, but my head is aching so much I end up sitting on a stoop a couple doors down reading Anthony Burgess-

-as a small aside, has anyone else noticed quite how many hot guys work at Strand Books? it's obscene -

- then we split, P. goes back to Deitch and we head to Dean and Deluca where it's clearly our night for bargains as no one can really be bothered to properly charge us [and C. finds a metrocard on the floor that runs till the end of November]. We head back to the 'Burg and make some dinner and drink some wine and suddenly it's midnight and I, lame-arse that I am, can barely keep my eyes open.

Saturday feels like an April morning and I'm full of the joys of spring. We head down to the farmers' market in McCarren Park. While we're eating homemade muffins at a picnic table we spy Seva ride up, so we go and really subtly steal his bike while he's buying apples. Yeah, we're good thieves. It takes him about two seconds to track us round the other side of the van...

In the evening, which is slightly humid, like the start of summer, I head to the Knitting Factory to go see Army of Me with Gurj and her friend Leslie, who was lovely and had awesome pins on her jacket. Army of Me rock hard, I enjoy seeing them, then everyone heads through to the bar. Everyone - everyone - seems to be in the music bidness, and I feel a tad out of my depth. Gurj meets two friends she knows from Lahndahn, she used to work with, so I can at least follow their conversations about Popworld...

Me, Gurj and Leslie split about 10ish, although it feels like it should be midnight. We have a brief dance party in the deli round the corner, cab it back to G's apt in the LES, then collapse in front of Degrassi and Family Guy. A while later debates rage over whether to go to Misshapes, there seem to be multiple abusive AIM conversations with Rob Hitt, but in the end the two ladies decide to stay in. I'd love to stay where I am - that apartment has a black-hole like quality, you sit on the sofa and just get sucked in, never want to leave - but in the end I grab a cab on Clinton over to Misshapes, hook up with Lauren briefly to explain the no-shows, say hi to Rob and Omri, totally can't handle Misshapes sober so head up to the station. I walk up Bedford again, the first time since I was held-up on that street, and I surprise myself that I actually feel quite anxious. I walk in the road when possible, when there are no cars around. Get home around 2, girl-roomie is up and watching BBC America. No one else seems to be around.

Sunday and everything is done verrrry slowly. I spend a good couple hours in B&N poring over magazines [can't afford to buy 'em, just read them in store, pillaging the mastheads for contact deets...] then meet C. Back in Williamsburg we procrastinate, we make dinner, we watch footage of the fireworks from the previous night [I'm so sad I missed fireworks. I love Fireworks Night], we brainstorm for our zine [watch this space, fools] then we finally finally get the goddamn first ish of the zine all done and complete. Hurrah! So satisfying. Now to pass them out...

No comments: