Monday, December 12, 2005

thoughts and comments from my uneventful weekend

Crashing & Burning: seems to be my new Friday night hobby.

Heathers: AWESOME. My god I'd forgotten what a great movie it is. An excellent one to, well, crash and burn in front of on Friday nights when you feel sniffly and the thought of going back out in the cold is too much.

There are some bands whose music videos just make me love them more: and The Rakes-22 Grand Job [for its cheap look] and We Are Scientists-Nobody Move [for its general WTF-ness] are definitely two of them.

Rated X: more like Rated Xmas. Everyone there seemed to be dressed as Santa. No idea why. Quote of the night - Mike: "I'm Jewish. This sucks."


rated x[mas] #2

Misshapes: is it wrong to say I think it's a little over? Maybe it was just 'cause it was the first night, teething difficulties, I'm resistant to change - whatever. We turned up about 2 and Don Hill's totally wasn't doing it for me. Sorry. Maybe there's room in town for a new Saturday night party...

The Imaginary Socialite: first we discovered through the medium of Flickr that we had overlapping worlds yet had never met. Now we keep running into each other. This is a good thing because she's an absolute doll.

Narnia: loved it, even if it was a little Disneyfied and occasionally glossy. I wondered what CS Lewis would think of Aslan being referred to as a "top geezer" but otherwise I don't have many complaints.

However: nothing will ever replace the wonderful 1988 BBC adaptation of The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe - a television event that defined a generation [you think I'm joking...] The children were a wonderful mixture of being very BBC, very stage school, and very British. [Saying that, I was superimpressed with the casting and acting of the kids in the new film.] But oh, the fabulous cheap production values and awful special effects! It will never be replaced in my heart. I urge you all to see it at some point.


narnia BBC

No comments: