Thursday, December 15, 2005

mixed-use? maybe. soulless - definitely.

Newport

In the lobby of my building, on the doorman's desk, there is a little plastic holder containing three different types of postcards, each advertising the wonders of my 'hood, Newport. [There's really very little to wonder at, btw]. One of the three depicts Newport at Christmas [even in the height of summer the cards are still there].

I nicked a bunch of the Christmas ones this morning and am sending them out as my holiday cards this year.

Total cheapskate or inspired genius? You decide.

Just to show you quite what a soulless hell-on-earth this place is [let me point out that the only reason I live here is b/c (a) I have to and (b) I don't have to pay rent.] The caption on the back of the card reads:

"Town Square Holiday Lighting in Newport - on the Jersey City Hudson River Waterfront - the Largest and Most Successful Mixed-Use Community in the World."


Awesome. [Actually the whole waterfront bit is kinda cool. We have fucken amazing views of the Manhattan skyline from here.]

Plus, these cards miss out the gem in the crown of the horrendously tacky decorations that have sprung up around Newport [more of which at a later date]: the wicker deer, strewn with fairy lights, dotted around the square. They're really something very special.

1 comment:

lauren ashley said...

inspired genius of the mixed-used.



oh, can i also say that i couldn't make out the word verification, so this is the second time i'm writing it?

haha my eyes hurt