Monday, January 30, 2006

touch and go

lady liberty



Okay, I’m back. It was very touch and go for a while. Like, we’re talking scraping rock bottom. It hasn’t been that bad for years. It was horrible, and a little bit scary.

Last week was incredibly rough [only managed two days at work] and it all peaked on Friday night and Saturday so I apologise if I saw you then and seemed like a complete head case or space cadet or something. I just felt wooden all week, and surprisingly and horrendously homesick. Like, if I didn't have these tickets booked for Texas already, like I would have just gone home or something. Saturday was a beautiful day which made it much harder because I kept feeling like when it’s so springlike and lovely I should be reflecting that but just couldn’t. I hung out in Central Park for a little with La Lauren [on a break from work right nearby] then headed downtown where I was meant to go cover the Idiotarod for someone. I just couldn’t do it – luckily they’d hired a proper photographer so it didn’t matter too much.

I walked from Delancey down to Battery Park, and there was a ferry just waiting there so I carried on walking, right on to the Staten Island Ferry, where I caught this amazing sunset and idly wondered what it’d be like to just put my bag down on deck and jump overboard. Then I was kind of like ‘what the hell am I thinking’ so made myself sit downstairs for the rest of the journey, admiring the sunset and reading Richard Brautigan [one of my literary heroes. J’adore].

012806_statenislandferry_002

1 comment:

Unknown said...

dear hannah,

apologies for making this is a strange intervention, but what you wrote touched me and I wanted to respond in some, however small, way. I've read your blog from afar, having sometime ago discovered the lovely work of nicky peacock and subsequently following her fotolog/flickr circle and their respective web hauntings, including yours. So, as your reader from a distance, I won't attempt to supply words that your good friends and fam can give, but I just wanted to come out of the woodwork and say that your photographs and your writing resonate with me very deeply. so thanks for your words, and i'll keep reading.