Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Straight Outta West London...


View this clip on Vimeo

Got a baaaaaad case of the Januaries right now, and been feeling a little homesick [brought on, I think, by seeing Leith and James last week]. Last night I went to the Bowery [yeah, the show I was lamenting a few posts back - someone gave me a spare ticket, bless their cotton socks] to see Nine Black Alps [for the second night in a row, weirdly, after L. took me to see 'em at the Merc. Lounge. Much better set at Bowery. Hot singer and drummer. HOTT.], Nightmare of You - the boys were fab as ever, highly amused by Jenne acting out the lyrics to some of the songs - and Hard-Fi. The Staines Massive. West London [more or less] reprazentin.

I guess they were pretty tight. I did occasionally wonder how much coke the lead dude was on [much taller than I thought he'd be], and their schtick felt a bit old sometimes, but gotta give 'em props for biggin up West London [in case you hadn't realised by now: my parta town] and for singing about Feltham Young Offenders Institute and the Great West Road. Seriously. Geeeeenius.

Plus, this song, kinda makes me think about my moving to NY. Especially as we actually do take the GWRoad to get to Heathrow...

Oh where I come from
I just don't conform
Get me out of here!
Leave the boredom behind
Wanna see the bright lights
Get this thing in gear
Yeah...
Soon I'm riding in my car
Follow the star
Drop on empty town
With the stereo lit
Take the Great West Road out

You get your boots on...
You get your boots on...

And all the boys and girls sing
(Na na na na na na)
Straight out of West London
(Na na na na na na)
Just like a loaded gun
(Na na na na na na)
The cognoscenti don't like us
Don't like us!
(Na na na na na na)
We'll hit the strip tonight
(Na na na na na na)
Your eyes are burning so bright
(Na na na na na na)
Can't you feel the blood rush, baby
Tied up too tight!

Tell me can you feel it
Feel the city breathing
Feel its beating heart
No superstition
Just cold ambition
It's time to make our mark
Oh...

You get your boots on...
You get your boots on...

And all the boys and girls sing
(Na na na na na na)
Straight out of West London
(Na na na na na na)
Just like a loaded gun
(Na na na na na na)
The cognoscenti don't like us
Don't like us!
(Na na na na na na)
We'll hit the strip tonight
(Na na na na na na)
Your eyes are burning so bright
(Na na na na na na)
Can't you feel the blood rush, baby
Tied up too tight!

You get your boots on...
You get your boots on...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, i was just wondering how you managed to put a quicktime video file on your blog? ive been trying but had no luck!
Thanks

h said...

hi anonymous - i upload the clips through Vimeo and they give you the code once you've uploaded it, to be able to put it on a blog - or myspace page...
hope that's some help

rock goddess said...

Funny, I was at both shows, too. And I have a thing for NBA's singer (Sam) and my friend for the drummer (James), though the other guitarist (David) isn't too shabby, either.

Tied Up Too Tight is my favorite Hard-Fi song.

Oh, and Battle at Mercury on March 10 and Rothko on March 13. Bring it.

rock goddess said...

The thing I hate about Blogger is that you never know if someone's replied unless you check back. So I'm making sure to reply about Battle here (after replying about Hard-Fi on mine). But, yes! Tickets are on sale for the Rothko show - there's a link on the calendar on their website. You know how Mercury is about putting tickets on advance sale. Not yet, but I keep checking back in case they "change their mind."

I am soooooo jealous you're going to SXWS. I would kill to go. Dirty Pretty Things! *swoons* (among others, obviously, haha)