Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Yeah! New York

An uneventful flight, quick passage through immigration and customs, and a cab ride down to Carroll Gardens, where even the shitty BQE made me smile and feel almost nostalgic. After shedding baggage, we walk around, to the bank and to the downtown Target for supplies [of which candycorn and Spiderman gloves are an important part] and fresh air and a stretching of the legs.

We come back and I sit down and check some emails while D. gives me a fashion parade - he's off to a fancy gala at the Whitney that evening, dontcha know [and let's not forget the pre-drinks at the Carlyle...] - then I feel like I could easily fall asleep so wander up to Smith St and down to the American Apparel where Lauren and Sarah H work. I LOVE living so close to where they work. When I go in they're both downstairs so someone goes to get them while I stare spacily out the window until I'm grabbed in a hug by Lauren... and suddenly it's like I only saw them both yesterday, not six months ago. We chatter until they have to get back to work, then I head back to get chinese takeout and half watch The Avengers on BBC America. I try to nap on the sofa as I'm meant to be heading to the Litt'lans/Kooks party at Double Happiness that night, but I can't quite doze off. Mr Fancy Pants leaves for his partay, and I turn the tv on, feeling crappy - overtired and headcoldy - and eventually come the decision that I can't quite face going out that night, so bail on and suddenly feel happier. The air mattress is inflated, there's candycorn to nibble at and Disney movies on tv. I do some work and go to bed at 10, an inauspicious first day back...

No comments: