Wednesday, October 25, 2006

band practice and Private Men...

bass. maroon & pink sneakers. drum kit.



Lunch with D & CC in the city, and a quick chat with Ryland - who quotes my own voice on Rob Hitt's voicemail back at me - then over to rehearsal space on West 30th, as I have the leads and pedals that the band need. I run into Ryan in the elevator, we head up and pick up the guitars then go to their rehearsal room where we find Rachel, and soon Andrew joins us. Ben comes, complete with Garth Brooks-esque hat, and they start on a song while waiting for Alex. They sound good. I can't stay too long, although I want to see Alex, but I have to leave in the end before he's arrived, so I take off, am briefly distracted by H&M, then it's back to Brooklyn, and another quick visit to the Carroll Gdns AA. I hang out there for a while, talking Halloween with the girlies - who are going as the Golden Girls and have two hilarious wigs with them, bought that morning at Ricky's.

I meet them later at 8, after the store has closed and we head back to the Burg, where Lauren and Sarah change, I down a cup of tea, then we head into the city. Walking down Third I see Ronnie and friend limping into some restaurant so I follow them in to say hello, then we carry on down to our pre-game rendezvous at Cooper 35. They have a four dollar drinks menu, various cocktails etc. I get a mojito and when it turns up, it's pretty much just rum and a bit of sugar. Incredibly strong. A few sips in the IS calls me and we chat, making plans to hang on Saturday at the big party.

We walk up to PMC at Black & White. Jonny's back for a week from touring with... Motley Crue? Shit, now I can't remember. It's so good to see everyone. Rob walks in with a big "Welcome home!" and there's Omri, and as I'm in the middle of getting my phone's predictive text messaging to recognise 'MCR' [MAP? MAR? NAP? OAR?], I'm tapped on the shoulder and turn to see Sarah, brandishing a bag with a Union Jack print on side "in your honour!" [lol] and Gurj, fresh from the MCR concert a block away. Big hugs and happiness. Around midnight I suddenly start flagging - still a wee bit jetlagged - so me, D and Brett take off, walk down 3rd a few blocks until we cave and grab a cab back, and I'm tired and tipsy but happy that today I've managed to see or speak to almost everyone I wanted to in NY and there's only a special few left to see and I can't wait.

No comments: