Saturday, July 29, 2006

Man In Black

johnny cash thanks you for coming charming motherfucker



So I'm relatively certain I've written before about my love of Johnny Cash.

About my rad JC tee, as illustrated above, with the just-as-rad tee belonging to the one and only Chris Hall. About the bad January week a few years back in which I didn't open my curtains once, barely left my room, and listened to Johnny Cash on repeat [this was before anyone uttered the words "antidepressants"]. About the first time I worked on a film set - a couple weeks' working with the Production Designer - and got paid expenses - and a burned copy of the Johnny Cash Unearthed boxset. About how 'Girl From The North Country' with Bob Dylan is one of my top five all time favourite songs. About the amazing BBC docs and old Jools Holland footage they aired after Cash's death. About how when we got robbed a couple of years ago, two Johnny Cash LPs I'd ordered had turned up and when I walked in the house and discovered we'd been burgled [and once over the horror of having had my laptop nicked] I wondered aloud at the fact that these two amazing LPs had been left sitting on the table and that the burglars hadn't wanted them. About how recently Johnny Cash is pretty much all I've been listening to, on repeat...

A friend was telling me how someone she knew had seen that Walk The Line film and gotten into Cash as a result - but said she only wanted to buy the film soundtrack, as she didn't know if she'd actually like the original material. *Retarded*. It was a pretty good film, but face it, there ain't nothing like the original.



While I'm here, I should also say, y'all should check out the Million Dollar Sessions - Cash, Carl Perkins, Elvis Presley and Jerry Lee Lewis; all in the studios at Sun Records, jamming, and Sam Phillips just left the tapes running...


Oh and also, on a totally different note, I know I wrote about how the Cobra Starship song was on repeat a couple weeks ago. My love has grown greater since I read the hilarious bio on their site - CobraStarship.com - and the fact that my lovely friend Alex Suarez of Ivy League is playing bass on tour with them. Godspeed, Cobra Starship.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seriously, who would buy Phoenix singing Cash? They must be pretty Commercial. Hohohoho...

h said...

you sound like people i went to high school with...