Friday, August 04, 2006

birthday antics

My dad's birthday. Just before we sit down for dinner, I'm on a bidness call with Jackie. The conversation turns to Interpol. The third partner in Crash & Boom, Carmen, has been in NY this past week, hanging with Paul and Carlos, who are her bros. Business and chat is concluded, I return my attention to the family dinner.

My dad looks at me, his expression somewhere between amusement and worry.

"So has Jackie been talking to Interpol, or were they talking to you?"

Wow, I think, my dad is more with it that I thought. I had no idea he'd know who Interpol were.

"No, Carmen knows them, she-"

But suddenly, as his face is swept with relief I realise - he's on a completely different track.

"Ohhhh. The band. Not the police."

And suddenly he's back to being the guy for whom Art Brut is merely an artistic movement and Band of Horses is something he'd see in a Western. And who, on occasion, has mistaken my ipod for a cell phone. Old dog, new tricks...

Happy birfday, papa x

No comments: