Monday, October 24, 2005

reggae time and wet hot american summers

So I spent the whole weekend "running on reggae time" (new phrase of the weekend) (i.e., verrrry laid back and not keeping to any particular time at all). I left work at 9pm on Friday for my sins, got back to the messy overrun JC apt to find two of the boys watching Van Helsing (worst.movie.ever.) and Jas and her friends who are here from the UK already hammered, listening to 80's music very loudly and trying to do kickflips on my skateboard in the bedroom.

Left the hovel as soon as I could to head down to the LES to meet up with CC and her friend Tahiti. Time just escaped me all night (I wasn't even drinking) and somehow it was three thirty in the am and we were sat on Devendra's tour bus by Webster hall discussing the finer points of R Kelly's "Trapped in the Closet." Apparently at the VMAs, he performed the entire thing, by himself, playing each part. My cheeks were hurting we were laughing so much about it all. Then conversation faded into listening to some guy talk about toenail fungus and continue to make the same joke after it ceased being funny about five minutes before. It eventually got to a point where I felt like I could barely keep my eyes open so we scooted off the bus, leaving Tahiti and Noah and Devendra to the crazy guy (what the hell was he on to be like that at that time of morning?) and cabbed it back downtown to Broome and Orchard, staggered up to the fifth floor walk up, watched some Britpop DVD then crashed. For a long time.

Headed over to Bushwick on Saturday, stopped by the flea market then went to the McKibben lofts where I had food cooked for me and I got to play with the kitty, Spats (cutest thing in the world). I hung around two cats this weekend – there was a tabby at the LES apt – and my allergies were totally playing up but did that stop me from scooping the cats up and playing with them and having them attach themselves to my lap? No. I just sneezed and wheezed and played with the kitties and thought that allergies to animals should be banned. Later on we went to the Pink Pony for dinner – the mirror in that bathroom is so freaky. I’ve seen it before but it always completely throws me and makes me lose my balance. The service at PP was crummy and it was pissing it down outside [translation: it was raining really hard]. C’s friends came and joined us, and I was transfixed by these four girls who were sat a table down from us and looked like they’d just walked out the early 1990s. Fo’ real. One girl had the worst hat on and I kept thinking of Tori Amos. Another had this too-tight Union Jack tee on with the words “Def Leppard” printed across the chest in rhinestones (and no trace of irony in wearing it, either)… it was just like car-crash fashion. Couldn’t tear my eyes away.

Later we started watching Wet Hot American Summer or Hot Wet American Summer or whatever the hell it’s called. As Madonna was playing Misshapes, there was us: C totally passed out, me sleepy but kind of enjoying this ridiculous movie.

But then one of the people who live in the apt we were staying in who wasn’t meant to be back till next week came back. It was the wee hours of the morning. He’d just got back from tour in LA. And we were in his room. In his bed. Watching his TV. I felt so bad.

Sunday was more of the chilled-ness, reggae time, do what we want – coffee and muffins at Babycakes, walking around the city, up to St Marks, over to Washington Square where we sat in the sun for a while, browsing Shakespeare and Co. and discovering Sarah’s book on the shelf (and after flicking through it, putting it back more prominently on display, ha ha), heading back over on 2nd and finding an old photograph of a solider probably from WW2 that someone had thrown out and nicking it (now pinned up on my wall, didn’t want him to be trashed like that), having tea at the apartment then finding the will to trudge back to JC. As I walked in to my apartment I realized why I try to spend as little time as possible there, I could practically feel my heart being squashed as I walked through to my room.

And now it's Monday morning and having just checked my balance online I've discovered I have all of $10.38 to last me until Friday. It's going to be an interesting week.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i miss you boo! come back and live on reggae time with me!!! cc