Saturday, July 16, 2005

teddy bears and magnolia cupcakes

On Fri. night we ended up going to this pajama party at some loft in Tribeca and it was one of those things where you had to make some kind of effort. Due to all of us running late, we didn't end up meeting till like midnight outside the building, so I was walking down from the 9th St PATH station at about 1130ish, dressed in a white skirt, boxers, a white vest (and when I say vest I mean one of those things you wear under clothes. It was not suitable to have been worn by itself, but vest boxers = something I sleep in, so...) and carrying this fat teddy bear with an eye mask on. And there were loads of people around and then I walked past the bookstore and the queue was huge and so many people stupidly dressed up for the Speccy Potter book launch...and *I* was the one getting the odd looks for walking around carrying a freakin' teddy bear.

The apartment where the party was was amazink. Looked like it had been lifted from a movie or something. It’s these four kids, our age, internet whiz kids etc (they do www.vimeo.com and www.bustedtees.com and stuff. Find my page on vimeo and win a prize) and they own it. Huge telly, pool table, piano, nice sofas... free booze and cupcakes from the Magnolia bakery (melt in your mouth good. Also melt in your hand, as I discovered when Arielle walked up to me right before we left and handed me half a smushed-up cupcake, sans paper case. Nice.)

Ended up back in Bushwick with the kids (CC et. al) after an amusing cab ride singing James Bond songs, stayed over on their air mattress, which took forever to blow up. Then had to do that kind of walk-of-shame thing back from Brooklyn. 10am on the L train, feeling rough, looking a mess. But I’d thought ahead enough at least to have brought my shades with me. And at least I didn't still have that goddamn bear. I left "Colin" (as he came to be known) guarding the apartment...

Quote of the evening:
“Remember. Best friends are made amongst many adversaries… by which I mean a loft full of Tribeca yuppies…”
[William, saying goodnight to me as he went back across the hall to his own loft]

No comments: