Thursday, July 07, 2005

londoners will remember today

conversing with kids back in london:

Maria:
Fucking hell. We're having a scary, crazy day here. 6 explosions in total although it seems as though there are more. Edgware Road, King's Cross, Liverpool Street, Russell Square, Aldgate East and Moorgate tube stations and reports of 3 buses being blown up as well. London is locked off - no public transport indefinitely... they're telling us all to stay where we are until further notice. Tony Blair is being flown back down from Gleneagles and they have to continue the G8 summit without him. It's asbsolute madness. Cathy is in Tottenham Court Road and is shitting herself...they all have to stay in the buildings. She's going to have to walk home to Battersea once they let them leave - she said the streets are packed with people.

I almost got on the Piccadilly line before it all got shut off as well. But I got distracted by the sale in the Disney Store and bought a dressing gown then went to Tescos instead of just going straight to Putney which is what I normally do. I would probably just have got stuck on the tube in between barons court and earls court but I'm so so glad I avoided it all. Have to make spence pick me up later coz there is no way that I'm getting on public transport. No buses....don't think we'll have the option of the tube in a long while. stock market is buggered...

They just confirmed that it was a suicide bomber on the bus in russell square. Just got a report that Leicester Square was hit as well but have only heard it once so not sure if it's true. I'd really rather not be here. Scary shit...people are talking about having to walk through underground tunnels and step over bodies.

Shit shit shit. Two more have gone off in Hounslow, one in Greenford and one has been found in Richmond. I'm so scared it's silly. It was scary when it was in central London but now they're hitting the outskirts as well. I want to come and stay with you ;o(

Hounslow, Greenford and Richmond - not typical terrorist areas

Really can't believe it although we've all been expecting it for a while. Not the same as when it actually happens though.

yeah i know after all the fucking scare mongering by the press n shit

What's the vibe in NY at the mo?

i don't really know what the general vibe is. no one seemed to register it this morning. it hadn't made the morning papers or anything, that i saw.

and people keep expecting me to work. they put calls through or hand me something and i just want to scream at them to fuck off. but obviously i can't.

I feel completely crazy and messy and pretty much just want to walk out. shit.



and after Sam's jubilant retelling of being in trafalgar square for the olympic announcement yesterday, her email today:

"We are all being sent home and told not to come in tomorrow."

Fuck.

I've managed to check in with almost everyone, they're all safe. I burst into tears in front of a fit guy who works here when I read about Hounslow and Richmond (as yet unconfirmed, but that's my neck of the woods, yo). I tried not to cry on the subway on the way in. I think it was desperation at wanting to get into work to be able to contact people. Now I just want to get out this bloody office.

I think today is one of the first times I wish I was back in London. Not that there's anything I can do. But just because.

Sometimes I just hate this world, you know?

No comments: