Thursday, September 01, 2005

name-dropping and the art of subtlety

stuck in my head:
* A-Ha - Take On Me
* Arcade Fire - Neighborhood #3 (Power Out)
* Bloc Party - Helicopter
* Beulah - Burnt By The Sun
currently all on rotation in the jukebox inside my mind.

Last night I had to go watch this video of a lecture I missed last week (I didn’t know it was on) – it was about business ethics etc. It was rubbish but there were some interesting points about truth and integrity.

And I was just thinking this morning that I’m so tired right now – not necessarily sleepy-tired, although there’s that too, I’d have much preferred to sleep in this morning – but something in me is tired of something, I’m not sure what, and I feel like if anyone asked me anything right now I’d only be able to be bluntly honest with them.

So try me. Ask me a question. Message me with anything, even if you’re not sure you want to hear the answers. Because I’m fed up with two-facedness and sycophancy and hiding. Honesty is the only way forward. It's almost even getting to the point when I'm dropping my guard. Because I don't like to lie, but there comes a point when you just avoid questions because of a self-preservation, self-defence kind of mentality.

I’m also fed up with name-dropping. People seem to have been doing it to me a lot recently.

“Yeah, I styled the Franz Ferdinand videos” [ugh, Franz Ferdinand…]

“I’m Nicki Hilton’s stylist…” [me, trying not to laugh in his face]

“I’m a Calvin Klein model” [whatever trevor]

and some more.


Subtlety really is a lost art.

* * *

i've been thinking about this since i first posted, and i'd like to update. this is what i'm tired of:
- falseness
- two-facedness (yeah, so it's not a word)
- sycophancy, for any reason
- judging on looks. i know, we all do it. i do it. i just wish we didn't, that it wasn't such an immediate thing.
- disregarding people because they don't have the right look. i may judge on looks, but i'm always happy and willing to be proven wrong. i don't care what you're wearing if you can uphold your end of a conversation or something. but i feel like too many people, too many places right now the opposite is true. if you're not wearing it, you're not worth talking to.
- disaffectation. if you're passionate about something, *be* passionate. if you like someone, tell them. if you get geeky about something, then who cares? geek out on it. embrace it. enough of this studied cool.

phew. looks like it's a good thing i'm going to montreal for the long weekend. maybe a few days out of this jungle will do me some good.


new york, my darling, i do love you so, but some of the qualities you bring out in people (yes, myself included) aren't always great.

4 comments:

Nicky Peacock said...

are you name dropping the name droppers?

Nicky Peacock said...

p.s - does my bum look big in this?

no, don't answer..

Anonymous said...

EasyShare One confirmed for October
If you've been holding off on picking up a digicam because you really wanted Kodak's delayed EasyShare One WiFi cam , the wait is finally over.
Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

Check this site too.disc duplication It has good stuff about disc duplication.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

Nicky Peacock said...

what is this spamming here!?
cheeky gets.