Wednesday, March 12, 2008

because we're dead


So tonight for the Diggler's birthday, we went to the ICA to go see Black Kids play. I like their songs okay plus there's been so much crazy hype about their live shows, my interest was piqued - and JD got the tix so I was happy to go along for his b'day.

After spending the earlier part of the evening walking round central London in the freeeeeezing cold (I finished work way before him), clutching new issues of Suburban Glamour and Buffy (if people make me kill time in the West End, I inevitably seem to end up buying comics. Need to stop that habit), peering through coffee shop windows like some kind of urchin looking for a warm place to sit, by the time I got to the ICA I was a little at that "meh" kind of stage. So I ordered up a strong drink, tried to psyche myself into gig mode... and then spotted that Slow Club were supporting that night.

I've already had them as my British Band of the Day over on Popserious but I just need to reiterate - I heart this band. Seeing them live was even better - the giggles, the slightly nervous banter (the room was shamefully empty when they played), the fact that Rebecca played drums and a chair (must be seen), and that they both were just generally adorable. I was bowled over and made happy again.

Black Kids, as it turns out, actually weren't much to write home about. But Slow Club were worth the price of admission.

No comments: