Sunday, August 19, 2007

in memoriam


So it's taken me like a week to post anything about Tony Wilson's death; a week during which I've listened to Joy Division and New Order repeatedly and re-watched 24 Hour Party People (had forgotten how great it is).

I remember New Order as a kid - who could forget the England song? ("We're playing for England - Eng-er-land!") - I knew Joy Division songs before I knew who the band were (if that makes sense), and I remember being aware of the Happy Mondays and that whole 'Madchester' scene, but I was a kid while that was going on. I was a late bloomer musically and Factory Records didn't mean much to me until I was out of university, but I'd say Joy Division are probably one of my most listened to bands now (still can't get into the Mondays though...)

This evening I paid my own private homage as I sat in my makeshift studio (a.k.a. my sister's room while she's away travelling...) and stuck Unknown Pleasures on and tried my hand at drawing Ian Curtis, for something I'm working on:

this evening


Better words from other people:
Five Ways Tony Wilson Changed the Music Industry
The BBC's obituary
The Independent's obituary

No comments: