Saturday, January 12, 2008

ooh baby baby

sugar overload

Magnolia-recipe cupcakes I made for Sam's baby shower - with enough sugar in them to make a sloth hyperactive. So much amazing food was provided: bakewell tarts and victoria sponge and chocolate crispies and cream cakes (blech) and Ferrero Rocher, but after being around so much sugar - and it's not like I was even sampling the mixture, the sugar was just hanging in a cloud above the kitchen - I couldn't handle anything sweet and sat at the party lamely munching on carrot sticks (and the odd jelly baby) half wishing I had volunteered to make something a little less sweet.

Quote of the afternoon courtesy of her very well-behaved and polite (and adorable) 2 1/2 year old nephew Henry, about whom she had been trying to convince us he was not at all a pretentious child, after she asked him what he was saying: "Oh I'm not saying anything; I'm singing in French." Pretentious, moi?

No comments: